Square, a mixed-use project approved on the lot adjacent to Bessey Commons, has retail stores, a coffee shop and other miscellaneous services.
- The Scarborough Village
Square is a new development within a half mile that has been recently approved
and will house a variety of retail spaces as well including Walmart Supercenter,
Lowes, and Grander Mountain (a sporting goods/outdoor recreational store).
- Oak Hill Plaza is less than a half mile from Bessey Commons. Located in the plaza there are banks, a hardware store, a beauty salon, and a barber shop.
- The Hannaford Shopping Center is located 5/8 of a mile from Bessey Commons and includes a Hannaford Brothers grocery store, pharmacy, Hallmark store, and other retail shops.
Bessey Commons is designed for seniors to live independently. In order to ensure that residents can age-in-place, a service coordinator will be provided to help residents identify and obtain assistance from local community agencies. While many residents will have specialized needs, general topics will include:
- Financial Literacy
- Budget Management & Planning
- Medicare Education
- State Health Insurance Counseling
- Employment Training & Placement Services
- Continuing Education through Scarborough Adult Education (Offering Afternoon & Evening Classes Across the Street at the Scarborough High School)
- Health Resources, including a Professional Office Building located 1/4 mile from Bessey Commons, housing both Physician and Dentist Offices, as well as the Maine Medical Center, which is located within 2 miles of Bessey Commons, offering outpatient services
Programs run by the town of Scarborough include:
There are opportunities for employment at local retail stores, the Maine Veterans Home, five branch banks, a variety of restaurants, as well as professional offices such as doctors, dentists, accountants, and lawyers within a half mile of Bessey Commons.
- The Scarborough Town Park is located directly across the street, where concerts and special activities for seniors are hosted each week in the summer
- Scarborough Beach State Park
- Springbrook Park
- Memorial Park at Oak Hill
- Scarborough Eastern Trail
- Ice Rink
- Jennnie & Issac E. Wiley Recreation Area
- Scarborough River Wildlife Sanctuary
here to learn more about parks & trails in the area.
Currently, the Biddeford-Saco Shuttle Bus provides eight round trip fixed-route transit runs Monday through Friday and four on Saturday from Biddeford-Saco and Old Orchard Beach to downtown Portland via Route 1. The Shuttle makes scheduled stops at Pine Point-West Grand, Dunstan Corner, and Oak Hill. The Shuttle operates a fleet of five buses, with four in regular service and one kept as a spare.
The Scarborough High School is located across the street from Bessey Commons and hosts concerts, plays and dance performances in the Winslow Homer Auditorium.
out about upcoming performances at Scarborough High School.